12.22.2010

Christmas Song

In keeping with my post from last year, I wanted to share the Christmas song that is this year speaking to my heart. This year's song is one that I used to despise: The Little Drummer Boy. Previously, I could not get past all of the "pa rump a pum pumming" in this song. I found it to be so annoying that any time I heard the first few strains of the song, I would immediately change the channel or skip the track. But this year, I feel like God brought me past the "pa rump a pum pums" to show to me the beauty of the lyrics. The story of a little boy who was told to come and see the newborn king and to bring that king the finest gift he could to bestow honor upon the savior. And his response to that call:

Little baby
I am a poor boy, too.
I have no gift to bring
That's fit to lay before a king.
Shall I play for you
On my drum?

Mary nodded...
I played my drum for him.
I played my BEST for him.
Then, he smiled at me,
Me and my drum.

Would I have dared to approach the manger, knowing my savior lay inside and it was my turn to bring him honor? I seriously doubt it. I would have fled in fear and shame! But what does the Lord ask of me? Only to play my best for him. Not to bring outrageous gifts, not to conquer the world in His name...but to simply turn the gifts and talents that his Father gave me back to Him for His honor.

And Oh! - to see a smile upon Jesus' face meant only for me, simply because I played my best for him while here on this earth. I have a long way to go and a lot to still learn but I pray that I remember these lyrics as I continue my walk in this life.

Pa rump a pum pum...

No comments: