7.11.2011

First Fruits (Garden Update)


Above is Mack celebrating our first fruits from the garden. This was about a month ago...I'm a little behind on blogging. Two of the squash plants have since gone bust (thanks squash borers) but that's OK...we had so much squash last year that we couldn't get all that excited about having copious amounts of squash again this year. Although one can never become tired of fried squash. This is Mack enjoying some fried squash that first night:




We're also enjoying zinnias (to look at), okra, basil, jalapenos, cucumbers and our first few tomatoes. And a surprise treat - some little eggplants. They're really delicious...and I bought the plant solely because I thought it looked pretty!



Now this I don't really know what to do with...pumpkins. They're really small and cute! But I'm not sure what to do with pumpkins in July.

We've had major problems with lack of rain so far this year. This past week it rained every day but, I swear, it hadn't rained on Efland in about three months before then. Our apple tree and the blackberry bushes just couldn't handle it. Mack got a couple of handfuls of blackberries from our yard but there won't be any blackberry jam or apple pies this year. So sad!


I am still loving the garden again this year. I don't know why, but wandering among plants relaxes me. Some day, my whole yard will be a garden...of pretty landscaping (not all vegetables).

No comments: