10.05.2008

We are the Barking Spiders


Swim, bike, run has a whole new element of fun that was really lacking previously for me. This Saturday, I swam my first open water 1500m swim at the Pinehurst triathlon. My pregnant-belly began the race for our relay team that also consisted of crazy-guy Ed and his 50 lb-fright of a bike, and Lawrence's 1980's alter-ego. So the Biscuit had a water-adventure and the spectators at Pinehurst had a good chuckle.

The swim was a little foggy at first and when I got in the water with my wave, I had to ask which way we were supposed to be going:
But I made it through! After swimming a few extra meters while zig-zagging my way through the course and ping-ponging off and around the other swimmers, I feel my 30 minute swim was a decent showing for my (out-of-shape, never-swam-in-the-open-water-with-800-other-people, did-I-mention-I'm-pregnant) self.

Here's Ed, finishing the bike leg of the race (we were getting a little worried about Ed because he was gone over 1.5 hours - the chain came off 4 times and he had to readjust his bike seat; oh - and it was stuck in the big-gear so the up-hills must have been a real blast):

Ed's first words after finishing the bike, "That was stupid."

And for the crowning glory of our team (he was really the only one of us that laid down a respectable time), here's Lawrence coming down the finishing chute (that other dude doesn't know what hit him):

Here we are, the Barking Spiders, enjoying the victory of completion:

Oh, and Richard won the whole deal (he finished before our biker came back in to give you some perspective). It was a good day for us all! Richard is typically a long-course guy and this was a short-course race, so for him to win was a big deal since he was also out of his element (just like my relay team). He ran his fastest ever 10K and was running 5:57 min/miles - geez; and he tied the course bike record. This is me with the winner:
A big shout-out to Vicky for setting a new PR and to Martin for placing 2nd in his age-group, yay for our friends!!!! And special thanks to Craig and Megan for putting up with us all day and to Craig for taking these great photos during the race.
I really did enjoy my open-water swim, maybe after I'm back to my normal size (I know it's bound to happen!) I'll invest in a wet-suit and make it a habit of relay racing triathlons (since there's no way I'll be doing the whole thing myself!). I wonder if I'll still like open-water-swimming as much without the extra buoyancy provided by the baby-belly?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun!! Your belly is so darn cute!

If the shoe FITZ.... said...

That is AWESOME!! I'm sure ya'll had a blast...and can I say...you look GREAT!! I hope Prince Richard is behaving in there. Can't wait to see you at the end of the month. Take Care!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that made me laugh and laugh and laugh. I love Lawrence's wig. Bwahh ha ha ha. I can't believe you swam pregnant, Ed biked with a 50lber and Lawrence ran with cutoff jorts. In my book, The Barking Spiders RULE! AAAAh ha ha ha! I gotta show this to Neil.

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

You are such a cute pregnant girl...and in a wetsuit! Keep this picture forever.