6.18.2008

Investing in a Pregnancy Test

So I am a cheap-o but have decided after recent experience that buying the cheapest pregnancy test in the store is not a good idea. (This story doesn't end in me saying I had a false positive - do not be alarmed!)

When I thought I might be pregnant, I went to Target and bought the "best deal." It included two tests and I figured that had me covered. So I went home and took the first test. After several minutes of anxiety and panic, I checked the test...nothing. Literally nothing showed up. Freaked out by this unexpected result, I consulted the directions. "Nothing" meant a failed test and a retry was necessary. Now - I am at home, all alone, the only one in the world who knows I am taking this pregnancy test and I have to do it all over again! I was not happy about that. My "deal" wasn't turning out so well.

So onto the next test. This time with less anxiety but more exasperation. This time the "control" line did show up - a lovely horizontal blue line that tells you the test is functioning properly. Then, slowly and lightly, a vertical line began to appear forming a plus sign. This little teeny faint plus sign indicated to me - hey, I might be pregnant. The little teeny faint plus sign also indicated to me - hey, you might just be crazy and are seeing things.

So the day that my family and Richard's family were heading into town for Richard's graduation that weekend, I decide to keep my big mouth shut and not tell anyone - not even my poor unsuspecting husband - that I think I just took a positive pregnancy test. I also decided I would limit my alcohol consumption just in case.

So Monday after work, and after the graduation festivities, I finally fess-up to Richard that I need to take a (another) pregnancy test. I had bought a digital test on the way home that cost a little extra but hopefully wouldn't leave me hanging. Seeing a digital word "pregnant" has breathtaking effects and is way better than wondering if you're seeing vertical lines!

So my advice (that I will follow for any future pregnancy testing) - no "deals" and only digital.

No comments: