8.11.2008

17 weeks - Potato



So the biscuit is the size of a baked potato and weighs about as much as a turnip now! (Note to self - go to grocery store and figure out how much a turnip weighs.) That seems huge to me, but we do always get the freakishly large baked potatoes when we go to the store - I think they mean a normal sized baked potato (5 inches long that is).


Every Monday when we arrive at another week, I allow myself to obsessively read every online website about baby development and pore through the many books I have on pregnancy. I allow myself to do this only on Mondays or else I would make myself crazy the rest of the week. (I stole the picture for this post from http://www.babycenter.com/ - one of my favorites for week-by-week updates.)


While I really enjoy my Monday-obsessive-readings about the baby's development, I have discovered that I am very un-obsessive about most other aspects of the pregnancy. For instance, I am not tracking what I eat or what my caloric intake is...I'm just not that kind of girl. I am also not obsessively reading about the various conditions and illnesses that can strike during pregnancy...I don't need any extra ideas about what could go wrong, thanks though. I also do not have a birth plan...why bother? Has anything I've planned ever gone according to that plan?


In other exciting baby news, we had a midwifery appointment last week and got to hear the baby's heartbeat again - it was much louder than last time and they found it right away instead of having to search for it. That was pretty thrilling! We have our big ultrasound in 2 weeks and 1 day to find out if I can finally start writing using "him" or "her" instead of figuring out ways not to call the biscuit "it." Yippee! I am also pretty certain that I've felt the little one knocking around in there. It's nothing big or constant yet but there's definitely someone in there trying to make themself known!

2 comments:

If the shoe FITZ.... said...

Do you have any mother's intution as to what "it" might be? I'm hoping for a girl...Richard would look so cute carrying around a little girl with blonde pigtails and dressed all in pink...plus girls are way fun to shop for?!
All the best,
the fitz's

laurenp said...

I had to laugh at the "planning" part of this entry. Planning is definitely not in your nature, but you have done pretty well so far!