9.07.2008

Biscuit Adventure

So, if our kid gets to do half the stuff after he's born that he's done in-utero, he's going to have a pretty decent childhood: trip to England & Scotland, Ironman spectating, roller skating, and now backpacking. Yes, I took my pregnant self on a backpacking trip. Richard & I hadn't been on a backpacking trip together since we've been married - kind of pathetic. So we went on a little short one over the weekend accompanied by Lil the Adventure Dog. We headed up to Grayson Highlands Park on Saturday, hiked in about 4 miles or so, spent the night, and hiked out today (Sunday). It was pretty spectacular. Saturday was a little foggy, cold, and rainy. But still enjoyable because it was an adventure. This is the view on Saturday (can you see me out in the fog?):

And later in the day, this is Richie starting a fire with wet wood, in a wet fire-pit (with the help of a propane gas stove/flamethrower):
The fire eventually became a white-hot, cooking machine and we had fresh veggies & Spam (gag - OK it wasn't that bad, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyday consumption) cooked over the open flame. We then spent a while drying out our gear & ourselves before heading to bed (I managed to sleep pretty well despite being 5 months preggers - I can be tough when I want to!)

Then on Sunday we woke up to a glorious morning:

All in all it was a great trip. Richard carried pretty much everything and I had a token backpack with my sleeping bag and water in it :-) I don't know what more we could have asked for. We experienced: fog, rain, cold, sunrise & sunshine, warmth, wild ponies (Richard even pet one), fresh blackberries & blueberries, cold fresh moutain spring water, blazing campfire, stoned hiking hippies, beautiful views and peeing the woods. We had a blast. Here are some more pictures just because I actually took a few decent ones this trip (sorry for the visual overload on this post):

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What fun! Love all the visuals! Especially seeing the belly and also your face in the same picture. Confirmation that you actually ARE pregnant :)

By the way, things do change after baby, but you are the one that determines that change. Just remember to let the baby become a part of your family and not the center of your family. Have I recommended Babywise to you yet? It's totally something I recommend reading, especially for parents who want to remain active, like we did and have. :)

If the shoe FITZ.... said...

Ya'll are you chic!! We are hoping that once Lilly is big enough to fit into her hiking back pack to head out camping!! Keep in touch!