2.23.2009

No baby policy

Sunday morning, Richard and I decided it would be really nice to try and go to church together. Richard had been once since Mack was born and I hadn't been able to go at all. Mack's wake-up & eating schedule seemed to be on track to allow us to go to the 11:45 service (yes, the church we attend is a non-morning Christian person's dream come true). We got Mack dressed for his first church going:We were pretty proud of ourselves that we were only about 15 minutes late...that's an on-time record I think since Mack was born. But as we tried to enter the sanctuary, Richard was blocked and told there's a "no babies in the sanctuary" policy...period. That really sucked. So we stood out in the lobby area for a few minutes trying to figure out what to do. We didn't really want to leave our 3-wks&6-days-old baby in the nursery but in the end, that's what we did. Since we know the head-nursery-girl pretty well (we are nursery volunteers ourselves) & there was only one other baby there on Sunday & another volunteer, we decided that leaving our sleeping Mack there was better than heading home.

After about 10 or 15 minutes of the sermon, Richard went to check on Mack and was gone for a while. When Richard finally came back, he told me Mack had had a "double pee" - this is where Mack pees his diaper and gets really mad, so you change his diaper...and then he immediately pees again right after the new diaper is applied and the pee goes all up his back making him even madder than before. Sigh. Then about 5 minutes after the double pee, the nursery girl came and got us because he was getting upset again. So we both headed to the nursery. Mack was hungry so I went and sat in the bathroom to feed him - our first public breastfeeding. Apparently we were really wrong that his feeding schedule was on track for being at church for an hour.

So our first church outing didn't go so well and we probably won't take Mack back for another two months. I completely understand why a church would want to have a no-baby-policy...but I still think it's dumb. One of the things I really admired about the church we used to go to in Apex was that they didn't care if you had a baby in the sanctuary that started screaming bloody murder. Screaming babies in public have never really bothered me as long as the parent acts responsibly and clams the baby or takes them out of the church/restaurant/movie/etc. before things get out of hand. Oh well, we still really like the church we attend but we'll just have to not attend for a while. Good thing we don't have to go to a church service to still be able to love and worship our Savior :-)

2 comments:

If the shoe FITZ.... said...

That's quiet a story...I hope it goes better next time!! Did I tell you about when we tried church at christmas, and Lilly blew a HUGE raspberry on the people in the pew behind us....needless to say we spent most of the time in the parking lot admiring the car going by!

MamaDoo said...

Oh no, I'm sure that was hard leaving him and then getting called out. If it makes you feel better, even if they are in there with you it's hard to concentrate for me. We didn't venture to church as a family until O was 3 months old and then I kept her with me in service. She developed horrible gas and farted LOUD the last 15 minutes of sermon. Ha ha ha.